Films at the Gate (2006-present)
Since 2006, every summer, a vacant lot near Boston’s Chinatown Gate is transformed into a free, outdoor theater, showing Kung-Fu and classic Chinese-language films. Films at the Gate is a collaborative project of Boston Street Lab, film curator Jean Lukitsh, and the Asian Community Development Corporation. The series seeks to:
- improve awareness of Boston’s Chinatown as a site of cultural activity
- restore a tradition of shared, public experience of Chinese-language films in Chinatown,
- provide temporary community use of Chinatown’s underutilized spaces,
- draw foot-traffic to neighborhood restaurants, and make downtown Boston a destination beyond the working hours.
Over the years that we produced Films at the Gate, we wrote about it on the Street Lab Blog.
A TRADITION OF FILM IN CHINATOWN
- Boston Phoenix “Best 2010“
- Sampan [9/10/2010] “Fifth Annual Films at the Gate maintains Chinatown tradition, builds community”
- Jay’s Movie Blog [9/2/10] “This Week in Tickets: 23 August 2010 to 29 August 2010.”
- Boston Globe [8/22/10] “Open-air fest a kick..” by Taylor Adams
- Natural Resources Defense Council on Films at the Gate
- Pedestrian Friendly [8/27/09] “An urban vacant lot blossoms, if only briefly”
- Boston Globe [8/26/09] “A Weedy Lot Blossoms” by Yvonne Abraham
- Boston Zest “Dinner and a Movie Al Freco Style”
- Huffington Post [9/1/09] “Village Green: Boston’s Asian Community brings Fun, Education, and Affordability to Chinatown.
- Boston Phoenix [8/30/09] “Event Picks”
- Boston.com [8/27/09] “Go To It: Hot Events Around the Hub”
- Bostonist.com [8/27/09] “Thursday Happenings”
BLOG POSTS ABOUT FILMS AT THE GATE
Don't miss Films at the Gate this year! Back for an eleventh year on Friday - Sunday, August 26 - 28. Schedule available at ACDC. Or take a look back at years past here.
Films at the Gate returns for the tenth time! More details over at ACDC. Come out and watch films under the stars.
Time again for Films at the Gate! What began nineÂ years ago as an effort to transform a vacant lot in Boston's Chinatown has become an enduring tradition: a free, outdoor series of Chinese-language films under the stars. Learn about the projectÂ here. Friday-Sunday,...
Itâ€™s time again for Films at the Gate! What began in 2006Â as an effort to transform a vacant lot in Boston's Chinatown has become an enduring tradition: a free, outdoor series of Chinese-language films under the stars. Learn about the project here. Friday-Sunday,...
The first two nights of Films at the Gate have been wonderfulâ€”not an empty seat in the "house." If you are coming down this weekend, feel free to bring your own seating so we can offer more chairs to seniors and kids. For the first time in seven years, Leslie and I...
What began on a vacant lot continues on the Greenway: Films at the Gate returns, starting tomorrow, Thursday 8/23. Join us as weÂ create a free, outdoor theater, showing Kung-Fu and classic Chinese-language films under the stars, next to the Chinatown Gate. Film...